LINUX.ORG.RU

История изменений

Исправление atsym, (текущая версия) :

Soji Yamakawa пишет:

http://ysflight.in.coocan.jp/main/e2018.html

• 2018/10/08

Decentralization?

When I saw the blog-hosting services, I didn't like it because of inability to keep a local back up. Some seemed to be offering a capability of taking a local back up copies, but then what about restoration? What if they terminate the service? Is it easy to transfer my blog to a different service? Looked to be hell difficult. I didn't buy them. I am stubbornly using an old-school web site.

When I saw Social Network Services like Facebook, MySpace, and Mixi, I wondered why people do what they can do with a personal web site with less control. I also am bothered by the inability to take a local back up and restoration. The contents of my web site is mine. I sacrificed money, time, youth, social life, and hair to learn programming. Why do I have to give away my contents and let them make money? I do have a FaceBook account. But, I'm using it just as an automatically-updating address book. I will never ever upload anything to FaceBook.

When I saw GitHub, I was frightened by every open-source projects concentrated in one web service. If I were an evil programmer, here's what I would do. I would hack into a source repository and then inject a malicious code into a source code of a very popular software title. Next time the build from that repo is released, the official copy of the title will distribute my code for me. Now everyone uploads code to GitHub, such a hacker knows exactly where to target.

Therefore I am still stubbornly keeping my own private repository local.

What's common about above my concerns are the centralization. Everyone tries to lock you in to their service and make hard to leave. I was thinking I was only one person who is concerned about the centralization. Surrender of controls over contents, not just private information. The trend was not going to the right direction in my view. People talk about problems of those SNSes, but nobody seemed to be concerned about getting locked in to a specific network.

Apparently, someone else does have concern. A famous guy. I 100% agree with the philosophy of the Solid project.

https://solid.mit.edu/ (Hmmm, I cannot agree more to their philosophy, but they are hosting the sources in GitHub.)

Right now I have problem in how to make my open-source part of my code public. I haven't been able to release them in a timely fashion because I always get higher-priority tasks than making and testing a release package. I rather want to open read-access to my public repository to public. GitHub for sure will host my open-source projects, but I don't want to be a part of the centralization. I'm looking into the Solid project to see if it can solve my problem.

So, I created my POD, but I haven't been able to do anything useful yet. Maybe it does not work with Firefox.

Исходная версия atsym, :

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Soji Yamakawa пишет:

http://ysflight.in.coocan.jp/main/e2018.html

• 2018/10/08Decentralization?

When I saw the blog-hosting services, I didn't like it because of inability to keep a local back up. Some seemed to be offering a capability of taking a local back up copies, but then what about restoration? What if they terminate the service? Is it easy to transfer my blog to a different service? Looked to be hell difficult. I didn't buy them. I am stubbornly using an old-school web site.

When I saw Social Network Services like Facebook, MySpace, and Mixi, I wondered why people do what they can do with a personal web site with less control. I also am bothered by the inability to take a local back up and restoration. The contents of my web site is mine. I sacrificed money, time, youth, social life, and hair to learn programming. Why do I have to give away my contents and let them make money? I do have a FaceBook account. But, I'm using it just as an automatically-updating address book. I will never ever upload anything to FaceBook.

When I saw GitHub, I was frightened by every open-source projects concentrated in one web service. If I were an evil programmer, here's what I would do. I would hack into a source repository and then inject a malicious code into a source code of a very popular software title. Next time the build from that repo is released, the official copy of the title will distribute my code for me. Now everyone uploads code to GitHub, such a hacker knows exactly where to target.

Therefore I am still stubbornly keeping my own private repository local.

What's common about above my concerns are the centralization. Everyone tries to lock you in to their service and make hard to leave. I was thinking I was only one person who is concerned about the centralization. Surrender of controls over contents, not just private information. The trend was not going to the right direction in my view. People talk about problems of those SNSes, but nobody seemed to be concerned about getting locked in to a specific network.

Apparently, someone else does have concern. A famous guy. I 100% agree with the philosophy of the Solid project.

https://solid.mit.edu/ (Hmmm, I cannot agree more to their philosophy, but they are hosting the sources in GitHub.)Right now I have problem in how to make my open-source part of my code public. I haven't been able to release them in a timely fashion because I always get higher-priority tasks than making and testing a release package. I rather want to open read-access to my public repository to public. GitHub for sure will host my open-source projects, but I don't want to be a part of the centralization. I'm looking into the Solid project to see if it can solve my problem.

So, I created my POD, but I haven't been able to do anything useful yet. Maybe it does not work with Firefox.